Friday, May 16, 2008

Why A Daughter Needs Her Daddy...

These are parts of a letter I wrote on October 19, 2003 to Trevor. Three days before his daughter was born . I thought it appropriate to share just now...

"To my dear Son,
I'm so excited for you as you begin this new adventure into parenthood. You're going to be a Daddy and this little girl is going to be a treasured gift that will bring you more love and joy than you ever thought you could experience. You will be her first hero - her first "boyfriend" - and the most important man in her life.

She's going to learn so much from you and you will always be perfect in her eyes. On that same note, you are going to learn so much from her. She will expect the impossible and more than likely you'll come through for her every single time! You will get to be the one she comes to when times are tough and she will know that you will do all you can to make her world safe from harm. Be sure to make the time to build wonderful memories with her - those are the things that will belong to just the two of you.

As I look back on sweet memories of my Daddy, I know without a doubt how much he cared for me. It's incredible to realize how much he loved me even when I messed up - my finest example of unconditional love. As I recall, he was always bigger than the other girls' daddies, much smarter, more handsome, a harder worker, the most fun to laugh and dance with, and the best story teller there ever was. I don't remember a time that he ever said "No" to me that wasn't for my own good.

You're going to be a wonderful Father, Trevor. I promise you that all the time and love that you invest in this precious little girl will come back to you a thousand fold -- the time you spend with her will be well spent. May you experience the same joy and love that my children have brought to me. I love you, Son!"

Trevor, I hope you will always know how much your entire family loves you and Lauryn. We're proud of all you do and all you've sacrificed to make this precious girl first in your life. She is truly blessed to have you as her Father. We are all blessed that you are part of our lives as well!
Forever, Mom

1 comment:

The Zieglers said...

What a sweet letter! We are a lucky family to be able to depend on eachother for support and reasurance when things SUCK!! I love you!